At the very least, does Stephane Dion have some sort of legal recourse against CTV, Senator Mike Duffy, and or Steve Murphy? Is there a fine to be paid by these people like there is in every other industry when a violation of the code of ethics occurs?
Many of us were disgusted at the time by Steve Murphy and Mike Duffy's exploitation of a situation caused by less than perfect English on the part of Murphy. Some of us even started Facebook Groups and the likes.
Others told us all to chill:
DEAR ANGRY LIBERALS
Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 09:28 AM
A lot of Liberal friends are angry with CTV for the stunt they pulled with Stéphane Dion at the end of the campaign, and for their apparent enthusiasm for the likes of Messrs. LeDrew and Heard et al. And things like that.
They should be: CTV broke their journalistic word with the Dion interview, and their reliance on the likes of LeDrew and Heard doesn't serve their audience very well (although I suppose it's entertaining). But to fulminate and froth about CTV, as assorted Grits are now doing, makes you sound like crazy Blogging Tory fringe people, going on and on about mainstream media conspiracies.
Here's what I know:
• the head of CTV, Ivan Fecan, headed a major fundraiser for Jean Chrétien
• one of his senior Vice Presidents, Paul Sparkes, was Chrétien's Director of Operations
• the network's pollster, Peter Donolo, was Chrétien's Director of Communications
• Craig Oliver was one of the closest people to Pierre Trudeau, and used to go on annual canoe trips with him
• Jane Taber used to be regularly mocked by Frank magazine for being a Liberal shill
• Roger Smith's wife was a senior aide to Trudeau
• Jim Munson, a Liberal Senator, became a Chrétien aide after leaving a senior spot at CTV
• Mike Duffy is a creampuff, and has loyal friends in every party
• Seamus O'Regan hangs out with Justin Trudeau and Dalton McGuinty's former Principal Secretary
• Rosemary Thompson is a sweetheart, and used to date Liberals at Carleton (the shame!)
• Bob Fife would take down anyone, if they deserved it, regardless of party affiliation
And so on, and so on. Get the picture? CTV makes mistakes, like any big organization does. But to attack them all the time - like marginal Conservatives do - is dumb.
They do their job, you do yours. Get on with it, and stop the whining. It’s silly.
Imagine that!?! We Liberal bloggers were whinny and silly. Whinny and silly over a TSN turning point in the whole entire election. Silly when Stephane Dion understood English better than his interviewer. Silly to call for a boycott of Liberal guests on CTV. Silly that we all knew Duffy was going to the Senate because of it. Silly that they took a great man with a PhD. and made him look like an imbecile and not so much as issued an apology. Silly that we all knew the Liberals were on an upswing in the polls and this interview lost us some very close battles nationwide because this clip got played over and over and over and over and over and over and over again...even by CBC!
Duffy even took it a step further when he turned to his panel and asked how this man could run the country if he can't understand a simple question. Poor Geoff Regan was in shock and had no idea what this ambush was about.
As for "mainstream media conspiracies"? I think when one of the players gets appointed to the senate within 2 months of the election, it's safe to say he had a vested interest in destroying a national political party for personal gain.