Friday, May 16, 2008
Accountability and Transparency Applies to EVERYONE...unless you're a conservative
Here's today's message from the now infamous Conservatives Standing ON Canadians playbook from the last election campaign.
to Information legislation
The Liberal government has consistently rejected attempts to provide Canadians with access to government information. The present Information Commissioner has gone to several times to force the government to open its windows.
A Conservative government will:
• Implement the Information Commissioner’s recommendations for reform of the Access to Information
• Give the Information Commissioner the power to order the release of information.
• Expand the coverage of the act to all Crown corporations, Officers of Parliament, foundations, and organizations that spend taxpayers’ money or perform public functions.
• Subject the exclusion of Cabinet confidences to review by the Information Commissioner.
• Oblige public officials to create the records necessary to document their actions and decisions.
• Provide a general public interest override for all exemptions, so that the public interest is put before the secrecy of the government.
• Ensure that all exemptions from the disclosure of government information are justified only on the basis of the harm or injury that would result from disclosure, not blanket exemption rules.
• Ensure that the disclosure requirements of the Access to Information Act cannot be circumvented by secrecy provisions in other federal acts, while respecting the confidentiality of national security and the privacy of personal information
So here's today's lie based on deception. These guys just keep bullshitting Canadians. Have you ever seen a government go to court as much as the Harperites? Ever?