Hello Pot? Meet Kettle! It's good work if you can get it.
The Liberals have repeatedly appointed insiders, in some cases completely unqualified,to important public offices. Liberal candidates and MPs have received appointments as heads of Crown corporations, board members, and ambassadors. Liberal staffers, including some of those responsible for the sponsorship program, have worked their way into key positions in the public service.
A Conservative government will:
• Ensure that all Officers of Parliament are appointed through consultation with all parties in the House of Commons and confirmed through a secret ballot of all Members of Parliament, not just named by the Prime Minister. This appointment process will cover:
- The Ethics Commissioner
- The Auditor General
- The Chief Electoral Officer
- The Information Commissioner
- The Privacy Commissioner
- The Registrar of Lobbyists
• Establish a Public Appointments Commission to set merit-based requirements for appointments to government boards, commissions, and agencies, to ensure that competitions for posts are widely publicized and fairly conducted.
• Prevent ministerial aides and other political appointees receiving favoured treatment when applying for public service positions