Thursday, March 13, 2008

What's Your Liberal Mission?

Naturally, I am writing this post in response to James Bowie's post, who, in turn, wrote his post in response to Jason Cherniak's post.

It should be noted that, although I'm not in agreement with Jason's post, I understand what he was trying to communicate. I have long been a voice that will not be stifled, both on my blog, and within the party. My favourite expression is "don't bring a knife to a gunfight"... and I seldom do.

Having said all that, I have said and written some things that are almost considered treasonous at times. I have written to sitting Liberal MPs and Senators to ensure that we continue to try and engage the true grassroots of the party. And, at times, those particular issues were not always easy to convey nor were they the most popular things to present.

Here are a couple of things I've done for, or offered to, the Liberal Party of Canada.

1. I continue to be an active member of the party, including being past president of my Federal riding executive, current president of the Provincial riding association and have been a delegate to all but one federal executive/AGM/national convention since 2004.

2. I am a consummate supporter of the party's youth wing and back them with support and/or donations as often as I can. Over the past two years we have seen the resurgence of youths clubs in my riding both federally and provincially - thanks in large part to youth like Sarah Earley.

3. I have flown/driven/car-pooled to campaign for perfect strangers running as candidates for the Liberal party. All on my own dime and all without being asked. Cases in point, Outremont and London. I have offered to help in Sask for Beatty on by-election eday and have yet to hear from a soul on that campaign - more than likely because I spoke out about the lack of due process in that riding.

4. I have maxed out my limits for donations to the party over the 2006 and 2007 calendar years and am certain that this year will not be an exception.

5. I continue to support the leader I chose to support at our last leadership convention and pray that he and Senator Poulin remember "tous ensemble" and what we promised to every member of this party at that convention.

6. I write this blog to be a voice for those that can't or won't stand up to be counted and to be a catalyst for change when change is needed. I feel that all Libloggers have a say in this party and should express their beliefs and disbeliefs whenever they please. Without speaking up or speaking out, we are all just lemmings.



Disclaimer: No offense meant to disparage lemmings, and I'm not saying all lemmings are Liberals. To imply that would be unfair to Conservative leaning lemmings.

No comments: